Friday, March 2, 2012

Sun signs-part two-Sounds good!!

Picking up from where I left last time.We live in an era where almost everyone is aware of his/her zodiac sign. I, for that matter, even had a yahoo I.D. declaring me a Virgo. Of course I am one of those non -creative people who perspire profusely when they get to think of a user name that can even remotely suggest their own identity.So somehow by that time I found it very natural to go with full spelling of my name added to my zodiac with a neat underscore.It all made sense.To my consternation even that was registered which in turn forced me to add an arbitrary number.It was a shame all in all.

I don't remember how much I believed in my stars by that time , I almost never did.But I would be a terrible liar if I dare say I never looked up my horoscope.Although it never occurred to me to wear a stone or ring to improve upon my holy haphazard life. But then, a believer would insist that I am just as good as a no stone owner could ever get to.Who knows? had I been wearing precious, semi precious stones , I could own a flat on moon and bail out kingfisher airlines with my pocket money. You just never know!!



(on a similar sounding note, will the zodiac predictions get affected once some of us start doing up and down to moon on monthly basis!! And assuming that Neil Armstrong did deflower moon, was he entitled to his horoscope that day? never mind.Lets stay focused and stay foolish.)

So I was telling you that i enjoyed reading those horoscopes.And sometimes I take a glance even now. But here is a deal, every now and then when I am startled at the ambiguous accuracy with which the news paper seems to be rattling about my future, I notice that I am a holding an edition of past!! Yes it's true.Till I don't get to know that it's not today's news paper, I don't feel anyway different for that forecast.And the moment I know that, is the moment I start finding flaws.How does that work?

Its the beautiful way they tell us about us that we love.The personality traits.oh I love them.They say a sentence with a plus and minus.Its like this - "you have a competitive spirit and you want to achieve excellence but sometimes you loose the spirit for a smaller distraction.You sometimes feel you are selfish but that's just one aspect of it."
 Now we have a sentence everyone would nod with if he is being told that it was about him.The winners and achievers would agree for most.And for every failure the "sometimes" clause gives a solace. Mediocre s will agree even more for "sometimes phrase" gives excuse and competitive spirit phrase gives a warm boost to their ego.Any one who feels himself a looser will agree most  because the simple reason he feels like looser is the extreme competitive spirit. And lets be honest here distractions are mostly small and always attractive.All happy.Universal set completed and after this wholesome meal we have a desert of an idea- being selfish with some random interpretation possibility.

I somewhere read a personality trait of Gemini-ans.And read it carefully."nothing scares more a Giminian than boredom." What the hell is that. You shrewd astrologer!!! Only Super Man can deal with you.What in name of India-Pakistan-cricket-match was that???   Who in world would say- yea you know, I don't have a problem being bore. Even those people, you think to be bore fellow, don't like to be bored.They have their fun.
Or you are being literal here - a gemini would not have laughed at a bad joke personally being told by Saddam Hussain in good old days. "Ya whatever Saddam, don't bore me."

How on this earth people born in range of may 22 - June 21 got exclusively and obsessively scared of boredom.

Psychologist Bertram R. Forer (1914-2000) did a remarkable experiment in this line of thought. Incidentally he departed the same year (the number) which I used to make my yahoo user I.D. unique. In his theory, which later lived with name of Forer effect, he argued that people tend to accept some vague set of statements as highly accurate description of their personality and completely ignore the possibility that it could hold true for just about anyone, given that they are being told that those statement were for their personality.In his experiment he asked few questions to his class and asked them to return their answers in written.He collected their answers and never gave a second look to that.Next day he called all of those, one by one, and gave them a paper stating their personality assessment.He asked them to rate this assessment at a scale of 0 to 5 , five being absolutely correct.The assessment given to all was :

You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself. While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them. You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. Disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You also pride yourself as an independent thinker; and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. But you have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, and sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, and reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be rather unrealistic.

The class average came out 4.2 ( four being good).resources

Have ,by now, we proven astrology conclusively wrong?I won't say yes.All I would say that by now we have established that most of what we find very much related to us in those divine forecasts, is actually related to any of us.And if the astrologer is coming up with that kind of knowledge after lengthy calculations, I do have my share of sympathies for him.There is perhaps a bit more I might like to add on this topic but I am not sure if I will.So why don't you and I take a break, meanwhile I shall do some completely unrelated yet tedious calculations, multiply some sins to some cos's and some integration perhaps to determine my next words.
You see, I am trying to give my blog a Pseudo scientific edge...  

2 comments:

  1. that's a brilliant post :D. loved ur style of writing. couldn't complete it yesterday so came back and read it from the beginning again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks....for reading
    for coming back..
    specially for commenting...thanks a lot :)
    hope you take out sometime and check previous post..we kind of write on similar notion...

    ReplyDelete

Your laffaazzi!!!